In this episode, I’m talking with Simon Glenister, Director of Noise Solution, a social enterprise based in Bury St Edmunds which provides 1-1 music mentoring programmes using music technology for young people in challenging circumstances. Noise Solution is interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly, the business model is unusual for this sector – Noise Solution is not a charity and all of its income for delivery comes from commissioning. Secondly, they use digital storytelling as a central part of the work and its evaluation. And thirdly, they have developed a robust evaluation model that’s recognised by the Cabinet Office and NHS Clinical Commissioning.
Listen below, on your podcast app, on iTunes or Spotify.
What’s in this episode?
We talk about:
- the importance of sharing a positive story about a ‘disengaged’ young person with those they’re closest to
- Deci and Ryan’s self-determination theory and the impact of autonomy, competency and relatedness
- the power of music and technology to improve wellbeing
- the meaning of ‘statistically significant’ in relation to their evaluation
- Simon’s three top tips for other people changing lives through music
Links for this episode:
About the Music for education & wellbeing podcast
Listen in each month to get ideas, inspiration and practical advice from people involved in music education, community music, music therapy and more. Learn how you can break down barriers to music, through communications, advocacy and inclusive practice.
The music for the podcast was created by Otis Hynds, a young person working with Noise Solution. Noise Solution delivers one-to-one music mentoring programs with people facing challenging circumstances.
- Contact me if you’d like to be on the podcast.
- Subscribe to my enews to hear about future episodes (and get free downloads – see below).
- Visit Music Education Works to read and search for research evidence of the impact of music education.
- Listen to another great music education-related podcast – the Youth Music podcastfrom UK music charity Youth Music.
IF YOU’VE FOUND THIS USEFUL, SIGN UP FOR MY ENEWS AND GET FREE RESOURCES.
As a thank you, you’ll also get six tip sheets, templates and checklists for: social media, communications strategy, getting more traffic to your website, copywriting, blogging and annual reports. You’ll also hear each time a podcast episode is published, and receive an occasional digest of my blogs, plus tips, advice and signposting to useful information and resources.
Need some help with a particular aspect of your communications, or your communications strategy? Contact me.